As an employer, you are probably aware that smoking is not only a major health hazard, it brings financial hazard too. Healthcare premiums rise with smokers, absenteeism is higher, and premature death is more likely. As a result, employers have tried smoking bans, bonuses for non-smokers, or even refusing to hire smokers.
But smoking is extremely addictive as anyone who has ever smoked or engaged in nicotine products knows. Of the estimated 21 percent of Americans who smoke or use smokeless tobacco, only about three to five percent manage to quit for good on their own. Most people require help and a serious commitment to stop nicotine dependency.
That's why Mission Hospital offers assistance to employers through our Nicotine Dependence Program. The longest running nicotine cessation program in the state, we have helped thousands of people quit smoking and assisted numerous employers in making decisions about changes that benefit them and their employees for the long term.
- Provides help with establishing tobacco-free company policies.
- Educates your business and employees on all forms of nicotine addiction.
- Offers cessation services at worksites and out-patient facilities.
- Provides counseling and support for your employees.
- Collaborates with national and statewide agencies that promote smoking cessation
As the only nicotine dependence program in Western North Carolina, we strive to provide you as an employer, the tools needed to reduce healthcare costs, increase productivity and improve the lives of your employees. With help, encouragement and support we've found that anyone who is ready can quit using nicotine.
We work hand-in-hand with employers and one-on-one with individuals through the healing process, addressing social, mental and spiritual aspects of all forms of nicotine addiction. Our services include:
- Initial office consult and intake for employees and nicotine cessation work policy consult to employers
- Spirometry testing (a common tool used to determine lung age and CO levels)
- Treatment plan with two-week follow-up
- Medication consultation with physician as needed
- Relapse prevention plan
- Counseling and Coaching with trained Tobacco Addiction Specialists
- Education/Outreach to businesses, communities and individuals
- Freedom from smoking year-round classes (link to class schedule for 2010?)
Our staff of three Tobacco Addiction Specialists, trained in areas that include drug addiction, nursing, and respiratory therapy are available for consultation, education, group classes and individual appointments.
Who We Help
Since our program's inception in 1995, we have helped an average of 2000 people each year quit using tobacco products. Because nicotine addiction knows no boundaries, our patients range in age from 12 to 92, and come from all walks of life and educational levels throughout Western North Carolina.
As an employer, you can contact our Nicotine Dependence Program direct by calling our Tobacco Addiction Specialists or individuals can schedule an appointment by calling 213-2222, option 2:
- Donna Borowski - 828-213-5527
- Fern Webb - 828-213-5525
- Mary Walker - 828-213-5528
Asheville, NC 28801